Anti-wrinkle injections are non-surgical and non-invasive cosmetic treatments that are very successful in removing fine lines and wrinkles on the face. Anti-wrinkle injections are a safe therapy that softens fine lines and wrinkles while also acting as a preventative treatment against the earliest signs of ageing.
What are the benefits of anti-wrinkle injections?
Botulinum toxin A, a substance found in anti-wrinkle injections, relaxes the muscles that generate facial expressions. We naturally develop wrinkles and sagging as we age due to genetic predisposition, collagen loss in the skin, and the long-term effects of sun exposure, natural gravity, and excessive facial expressions. Anti-wrinkle injections soften wrinkles and prevent the creation of deeper lines, delivering a natural, refreshed, and youthful appearance.
How do anti-wrinkle injections function?
Anti-wrinkle injections containing botulinum toxin A block nerve signals to the facial muscles, resulting in decreased muscle activity in the areas of the face where wrinkles often originate. Reduced muscle movements put less strain on the skin, which aids in the preservation of a youthful appearance.
Anti-Wrinkle Injections: Advantages and Drawbacks
Throughout our extensive experience, we have witnessed several benefits of anti-wrinkle injections, including:
- Reducing fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, eyes, and forehead
- They can also be used as a preventative measure against the first signs of ageing
- Slimming face contours for a more youthful, refreshed, and relaxed look
- Balancing asymmetrical features on the face by lifting certain parts of the face
- Helping with excessive sweating
It’s a prevalent misperception that these treatments are only effective when wrinkles have already formed. In fact, one of the primary applications for this treatment is the prevention of wrinkle formation in the first place!
Anti-wrinkle injections can be used in many areas of the face with frequent muscle movements. They are successful in minimising the following sorts of wrinkles:
- Wrinkles on the forehead (deep, horizontal lines on the forehead)
- Frown lines (deep and vertical lines between the eyebrows)
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles at the side of eyes)
- Bunny lines (horizontal, vertical or diagonal lines on the nose)
- Wrinkles around the eyes
- Downturned mouth (giving you a sad resting facial expression)
- Neck (giving you the Nefertiti neck lift)
- Chin (dimpling)
Useful Information on Anti-Wrinkle Injections
Apart from wrinkle prevention and reduction, anti-wrinkle injections can be used to enhance the brow arch (brow lift), reduce the appearance of a gummy smile, relax the appearance of a wrinkly neck (Nefertiti neck lift), reduce sweating in the armpits, and treat conditions such as teeth grinding and migraines.
Here are some other useful bits of information about this treatment you might find interesting:
- This treatment is measured in ‘units’ rather than mLs (which is what dermal filler treatments are measured in).
- Therapies can be utilised to lessen the appearance of gums when smiling (also known as the gummy smile), as well as dimpling around the chin and nasal lines when smiling (called bunny lines).
- Relaxing the masseter muscle in the jaw lowers teeth grinding (bruxism) and can help produce a smaller jaw appearance. When paired with a treatment to relax the temporalis muscle, this can help relieve tension and pain in the jaw joint in patients with Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJD).
- Anti-wrinkle treatment can minimise excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) in the armpit and forehead areas. This treatment can last 6-12 months, making it particularly handy throughout the hot months!
- A ‘Nefertiti Neck Lift’ can also be utilised to tighten and reshape the neck and jawline for a more elegant and youthful appearance.
- Treatments typically take 3-6 months, depending on the region treated.
- Some swelling is normal, and it normally takes a few hours to go away.
- There is usually no downtime and most people can go about their daily lives after the therapy.
- Do not touch the treatment areas or apply make-up for at least 4 hours following treatment.
- Avoid hard activity, saunas, and alcohol for 24 hours following treatment.
- Anti-wrinkle medications require written authorisation from a neurologist for illnesses such as Myasthenia Gravis, Eaton-Lambert Syndrome, and Multiple Sclerosis.
Procedure for anti-wrinkle injections
Typically, the technique consists of an initial consultation, the treatment itself, and follow-up.
At the initial consultation, we aim to acquire all essential information about your skin condition and rule out allergies and any potential medical issues that would make this process risky. In addition, we examine your aesthetic goals and, if you are a good candidate, we recommend a customised anti-wrinkle treatment.
During the procedure, several tiny injections are administered at the target location, resulting in a short pinching sensation. The treatment is relatively painless and rapid, with little downtime.
Normally, a follow-up or review session is recommended following the procedure to analyse the effects of the treatment, check on how the recuperation is progressing, and ensure that the dosage was correct.
Outcomes of anti-wrinkle injections
The outcomes of the treatment can be seen in less than a week and can endure for 3 to 6 months, depending on the area treated. Because the treatment’s effects are not permanent, you will require further sessions to preserve your results.
Nonetheless, good aftercare is required for the greatest results. Before beginning any treatment, consult with your clinic about how to attain the greatest outcomes.
Here is some general aftercare advice:
- Avoiding vigorous exercise and heavy alcohol consumption for the first 24 hours after the treatment;
- Avoiding touching the treated area until the side effects subside;
- Avoiding sleeping on the treated part of your face and any other pressure until healed;
- Avoiding sunlight, sauna, peels, massages, and other facial treatments until fully healed.
Risks and side effects
It is typical to experience swelling, bruising, redness, and discomfort in the treatment area immediately following the procedure. The adverse effects typically subside within a few days.
Complications are possible, but they are extremely rare. Some patients may experience nausea, transient numbness, headaches, or impaired vision. Whenever such issues arise, it is always best to consult a doctor.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women, persons with neuromuscular problems, people with infections or inflammations in the target areas, and people with bleeding disorders should not receive anti-wrinkle injections.
Frequently asked questions
Do anti-wrinkle injections hurt?
The operation is painless for the vast majority of patients, except for a brief pinching sensation when the needle is introduced into the skin.
Are anti-wrinkle injections safe?
Although the process is deemed safe, certain moderate adverse effects, such as bruising, swelling, and redness in the treated area, may occur.
How often should I have the treatment?
It is normally recommended that the treatment be repeated every 3 to 6 months until the muscle movements in the target area return to normal.
Can the effects be reversed?
The effects of anti-wrinkle injections cannot be reversed instantly. The effects of anti-wrinkle injections fade gradually over 3 to 6 months.
Will my face get frozen after the treatment?
This is a typical issue for many patients. However, our significant professional expertise has proved that this is not the case, as the injections are precisely put into the desired area and the chance of facial numbness is minimal.
Where can I acquire them?
You may get anti-wrinkle injections at Misk Beauty, a cosmetic clinic in Shellharbour run by two local doctors. We also serve customers from Unanderra, Dapto, Port Kembla, Albion Park, Jamberoo, Kiama Downs, Kiama and Gerringong. Call us today to schedule your introductory consultation.